| Yard Sale Pile |
| Empty Shelves |
As I was thinking of all the little indications that my life here is coming to a close and new opportunities are arising, I reflected on what God is doing and the fact that this whole journey of transplanting my life to the other side of the globe is quite a walk of faith. I've concluded that God provides us just enough small and big miracles to increase my faith for the many challenges looming in front of me. It's this crazy experience of watching certain aspects of the plan evolve quickly and smoothly, while simultaneously viewing insurmountable barriers.
Here's a sampling of what's been happening over the past few weeks...
Exciting happenings and miracles for the organization:
- We have a team in the UK designing our logo for us, free of charge. Our name and motto, though not yet confirmed, have been created.
- We have a web designer in the US who has volunteered his services to create our website.
- Interserve India met with our team members this week about us starting out as a project under the umbrella of their organization. They were positive and open about this, and had some good suggestions.
- Heidi and I met with a lawyer last week, who is completing and submitting all the paperwork we need to become a 501(c)3 in the US. Again, absolutely free of charge. This is a necessary step for us to be able to procure business visas. This same lawyer has been doing research for us, on the needs of the Maharashtra region.
- Paul and Claire Furbey (UK) will be coming to the US to do some planning with Bethany, Heidi, and me in May. Five team members on one continent is the greatest number we have yet been able to achieve.
- This is only a taste of the connections and resources that God's brought to our doorstep. There are other lawyers, pastors, counselors, organizations, churches, and individuals who have expressed a desire to support us in various ways.
Exciting personal happenings and miracles:
- I found out this week that when I transitioned to part time at my job, my boss somehow made it so that I did not have to pick up the insurance cost that I should have. This has saved me hundreds of dollars. And I wasn't even aware of this provision from God until this week.
- Tuesday morning I had an interview with Interserve USA, to partner with them. What was miraculous was that they had not even received my application. Through a classic God-move, I was interviewed before I even applied.
- I've discovered an abundance of training materials and resources on trauma (many free) that are expanding my scope of knowledge and skill.
And those miracles strengthen our foundation of faith and give us the ability to trust God with the challenges...
God-sized organizational challenges:
- We have discovered that in order for us to receive international funds or to care for children, our organization must exist for 3 years. This means we have to restructure things, write new proposals, have two organizations running simultaneously, etc. It's very detailed and complicated, so let's just say it's a God-sized problem.
- Our primary option for our organization's location, the former Purnata Bhavan site, is currently unattainable. It is uncertain if, and when, it may be available to us. That means though we are all planning to arrive in July, we have no set place to live and/or work. Minor details. :)
- The sheer amount of money needed to run the organization is nothing to the God who manages the universe, but from a human perspective it seems impossible.
- Paul and Claire are working to raise funds, but currently have almost nothing for their personal support. Prakash and Sujata, with their two boys, are in a similar situation in India.
- Ultimately, no matter how skilled we become, the power to transform lives is in the hands of our Savior.
God-sized personal challenges:
- The ongoing difficulties of figuring out the logistics around finances, insurance, visas, and moving out of the country.
- Balancing the various aspects of my life is particularly challenging right now. While I want to focus all my energy on making plans for the future, I am often drawn up short by the current crises of my clients, or a need in one of my other jobs. I find that in every moment I must focus on the person and situation that I am in, without being consumed by what the next day or hour may hold. It may be problem-solving with a client who has no food in their house, or taking an online Cognitive Behavioral Therapy course, or teaching an AP Psych class, or skyping one of my partners around the world, or scheduling dentist/doctor's visits, or helping a child complete his homework, or spending time with a friend, or hosting an iSanctuary jewelry party, or sorting through my belongings, or buying a bridesmaid's dress, or meeting with a lawyer, or simply catching up on my email...the vast number of tasks I must accomplish each day is forcing me, by God's grace, to rely on strength and wisdom much greater than my own.
I recently assessed my calender for the months of May and June. My rough estimate is that between the two months I have about 12-15 major events taking place, events that I am either hosting or significantly involved in. That includes among many other things, a 5-day trip to Michigan to be in a wedding of very dear friends, a 10-day visit from our UK ministry partners, a 3-day missions conference, and hopefully a short retreat/vacation for prayer and reflection. And that's just what's on the calendar so far. Please pray for me, that whatever the hassles and details of each day may bring, I may remember the truth that I've posted next to my door as a continual exhortation:
Here's a sampling of what's been happening over the past few weeks...
Exciting happenings and miracles for the organization:
- We have a team in the UK designing our logo for us, free of charge. Our name and motto, though not yet confirmed, have been created.
- We have a web designer in the US who has volunteered his services to create our website.
- Interserve India met with our team members this week about us starting out as a project under the umbrella of their organization. They were positive and open about this, and had some good suggestions.
- Heidi and I met with a lawyer last week, who is completing and submitting all the paperwork we need to become a 501(c)3 in the US. Again, absolutely free of charge. This is a necessary step for us to be able to procure business visas. This same lawyer has been doing research for us, on the needs of the Maharashtra region.
- Paul and Claire Furbey (UK) will be coming to the US to do some planning with Bethany, Heidi, and me in May. Five team members on one continent is the greatest number we have yet been able to achieve.
- This is only a taste of the connections and resources that God's brought to our doorstep. There are other lawyers, pastors, counselors, organizations, churches, and individuals who have expressed a desire to support us in various ways.
Exciting personal happenings and miracles:
- I found out this week that when I transitioned to part time at my job, my boss somehow made it so that I did not have to pick up the insurance cost that I should have. This has saved me hundreds of dollars. And I wasn't even aware of this provision from God until this week.
- Tuesday morning I had an interview with Interserve USA, to partner with them. What was miraculous was that they had not even received my application. Through a classic God-move, I was interviewed before I even applied.
- I've discovered an abundance of training materials and resources on trauma (many free) that are expanding my scope of knowledge and skill.
And those miracles strengthen our foundation of faith and give us the ability to trust God with the challenges...
God-sized organizational challenges:
- We have discovered that in order for us to receive international funds or to care for children, our organization must exist for 3 years. This means we have to restructure things, write new proposals, have two organizations running simultaneously, etc. It's very detailed and complicated, so let's just say it's a God-sized problem.
- Our primary option for our organization's location, the former Purnata Bhavan site, is currently unattainable. It is uncertain if, and when, it may be available to us. That means though we are all planning to arrive in July, we have no set place to live and/or work. Minor details. :)
- The sheer amount of money needed to run the organization is nothing to the God who manages the universe, but from a human perspective it seems impossible.
- Paul and Claire are working to raise funds, but currently have almost nothing for their personal support. Prakash and Sujata, with their two boys, are in a similar situation in India.
- Ultimately, no matter how skilled we become, the power to transform lives is in the hands of our Savior.
God-sized personal challenges:
- The ongoing difficulties of figuring out the logistics around finances, insurance, visas, and moving out of the country.
- Balancing the various aspects of my life is particularly challenging right now. While I want to focus all my energy on making plans for the future, I am often drawn up short by the current crises of my clients, or a need in one of my other jobs. I find that in every moment I must focus on the person and situation that I am in, without being consumed by what the next day or hour may hold. It may be problem-solving with a client who has no food in their house, or taking an online Cognitive Behavioral Therapy course, or teaching an AP Psych class, or skyping one of my partners around the world, or scheduling dentist/doctor's visits, or helping a child complete his homework, or spending time with a friend, or hosting an iSanctuary jewelry party, or sorting through my belongings, or buying a bridesmaid's dress, or meeting with a lawyer, or simply catching up on my email...the vast number of tasks I must accomplish each day is forcing me, by God's grace, to rely on strength and wisdom much greater than my own.
I recently assessed my calender for the months of May and June. My rough estimate is that between the two months I have about 12-15 major events taking place, events that I am either hosting or significantly involved in. That includes among many other things, a 5-day trip to Michigan to be in a wedding of very dear friends, a 10-day visit from our UK ministry partners, a 3-day missions conference, and hopefully a short retreat/vacation for prayer and reflection. And that's just what's on the calendar so far. Please pray for me, that whatever the hassles and details of each day may bring, I may remember the truth that I've posted next to my door as a continual exhortation:
To human eyes, such circumstances seem daunting. However, we serve a magnificent Provider. I shall delight in bringing these requests before Him and watching Him do what He does best!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for you!!! This is SO GOD! I can relate as I try to wrap up this year and yet move on to NYC next year. Be here now, God will take care of things-- I've watched him do that in my own life this semester. Blessings, Em. :) I'll keep you in prayer.
ReplyDelete