When I gathered what I needed for the day on Friday I had to stop and take a picture (this pic doesn't even include my main work bag which I left in the car). Most mornings I have to turn sideways to make it through the door and often knock over a few knickknacks as I navigate through the house, weighed down by an excessive number of bags hanging from every limb.
I pulled out of the driveway at 7:15 sharp, while calling a client who needed a wakeup call in order to get her children on the bus. The events of the day are a blur. It started off with cleaning a house (the most relaxing and straightforward part of my day), and moved on to seeing clients, filing emergency reports, mediating a brawl between screaming adults, canceling and re-scheduling last-minute appointments, being subpoenaed to testify in court, chatting with lawyers and DCF workers, presenting and selling jewelry for iSanctuary...oh, and a run to the airport squeezed somewhere in the middle. It was fifteen hours later that I pulled back into the driveway, emotionally exhausted and spiritually drained.
First of all, I was a bit repelled by the idea that in one day I use more stuff than I'd like to have as my entire inventory of earthly possessions. But that's a side note. The main point is that in the midst of the chaos I was re-convicted for the billionth time that I am a modern example of the often referenced Martha of the Bible (minus, of course, her culinary abilities).Yes, I'm an accomplisher. This has been established, so why must I always persist in pushing myself to new levels of achievement? I cannot even remember the last time I just relaxed in the presence of God. Without thinking about that email I have to write or project I need to finish or phone call I need to make. When was the last time I walked in my favorite cemetery to talk with the sustainer of my very being? Why do I always forget the lesson that being at the feet of Jesus will bring refreshment to the most weary heart and will give strength to accomplish the most impossible tasks? My day on Friday ended with a time to sit under the word of God. As I listened to the familiar scriptures, I could literally feel myself thirsting desperately for God and soaking up the words spoken. It was one of the most distinct feelings of nourishment I've felt in a while. The angst of the day melted away. My attempts to fix the world's problems will end in stupidity and frustration. But time with Jesus, who is the living solution, will fill me up so I can overflow - not with my feeble and frantic activities, but with his deep, peace-giving love. Yep, there's a certain cemetery calling my name. Time for a long date with the lover of my soul.
O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory. ~ Psalm 63:1-2
Man, I love that cemetery. Some of the most soul-satisfying times I can recall have been there.
ReplyDelete