Monday, January 6, 2014

What Happened in 2013?

As you may have noted from my previous post, I love to celebrate on many occasions, including holidays such as Christmas and Easter. But when it comes to my favorite days, New Year's Day is very high up on the list. Other holidays are fun (and exhausting) times of reaching out and serving others, but New Year's feels like a holiday just for me, for my personal rest and reflection. My over-enthusiasm for the day may be due to the fact that I am a list-making, goal-setting, everything-analyzing sort of person. What could be more fun than looking back at the accomplishments of the previous year, particularly what God has done, and looking forward in anticipation of all that will happen in the year to come? This post is particularly for those who are not on facebook and have asked for more updates. You may have missed a lot of what went on, so here is what 2013 looked like for me, in summary.

January
The first month of the year is usually spent recovering from Christmas activities and getting back to regular ministries. Among other things, January of this year included starting up with weekly discipleship meetings with the group of girls from Mukti who came to our house every Sunday afternoon for lunch, fellowship and discipleship lessons.
A new session of English classes also began with a few guys who wanted advanced English. Because their English was already quite good, we were able to add lots of fun activities, games and English jokes. As always, it was also a chance to clearly present the gospel to those in attendance, especially as we use the Bible as our primary textbook. Two of the young men in the church, Akash and Pravin, have been extremely helpful in holding these classes. They both attend, with a desire to improve their own English, but also assist with managing and facilitating the classes. Over the past year we have seen several of our English students come for various church programs, and even to church on occasion. We continue to pray for their salvation.

February
This was my last official month working with Kites Global, the organization I originally came to Nasik to help start. At this point I was only working two days a week and focused primarily on special interest clubs - with an emphasis on drama, speech and confidence building with the children in the orphanages. The kids loved these sessions and we saw improvement in their ability to communicate effectively. As these were Christian homes, I was able to promote the importance communication because we are ambassadors for Christ, as God is making his appeal through us to the world. As often happens, it brought me back to the days when I took speech and drama classes, and I thought with affection and thankfulness of those teachers who patiently taught me how to communicate.

February was also a month of church outreach. We set up a booth at a local Catholic festival that brings thousands to Nasik, and is called the Infant Jesus Shrine festival. We sold items from our bookstore but mostly sought opportunities to start conversations and share the gospel with those who came by our booth. It is a bizarre thing to see, the rituals and traditions and superstitions reminiscent of Hinduism but paired with the name of Jesus. There were candles in the shape of body parts that people could purchase to offer prayers for specific ailments, and Mass was held every hour all through the day with thousands in attendance. There is a small but notable (and rich!) population of Catholics here in the city and we often find ourselves trying to explain to people the difference between what they believe and what we hold to. The other church outreach conducted during February was a Gospel Conference we held for several days, with a guest speaker from the UK. It was a good chance to unite with other churches in Nasik and to encourage cooperation among our different congregations.

March & April
After saying goodbye to our girls from Mukti, and after a full year away, I braved the climate shift and traveled back to America. I laughed at the girls' tears and their pleas of 'come back soon, didi!', telling them I'd be back in no time. They were headed to their village homes for the summer holidays, even as I was headed home for a few weeks, but we assumed we'd be reunited after a couple of months. Little did we know that the Mukti home would not reopen after the summer break and all of the girls would be returning to their villages permanently. I haven't seen many of these girls since the day I took this picture. :(

Bec was traveling home at the same time as me, so we took a day to zoom around London before I boarded another plane for Boston. I spent six weeks at home, enjoying family, especially bonding with Wesley and Maddie, and welcoming my newest nephew to the family. Since my visa had expired, I had to apply for a new one.It was lots of hassle and research and paperwork, but God was very gracious and I was able to obtain a five year business visa through my newly established business, PsychPLUS Education and Training Services, through which I teach my online AP Psychology courses. 

At the beginning of April I was able to attend the Gospel Coalition conference in Florida, due to the generosity of some good friends. The first part of the conference was on missions and based on one of my favorite passages, one I've been meditating on and memorizing this year - 2 Corinthians 4 & 5. In addition to sitting under the powerful preaching of God's word, it was a special treat to catch up with my Uncle Tim over a cup of coffee while there.

In the days before returning to India, I heard some disheartening news about a young woman in the church here. While her husband is a believer, she had never made a profession of faith but always attended faithfully. It was discovered that she had been engaging in affairs with multiple men, and involving her own children in lying and deceiving her husband. It was tragic and shocking for the church to deal with this, and terribly sad for Bec and I. We had tried in many ways to reach out to this woman over the past couple of years and considered her a good friend. Her resistance to our recent discussions of the gospel and our pleas with her to come to repentance seemed to indicate an increased hardening on her part, but we were still surprised to hear this news. It was hard to be away from the church during this time. She is no longer living in Nasik, but by the grace of God her husband has grown spiritually in an incredible way during the course of this trial and many others this year. He is a humble, faithful, spiritually solid man, and we are so thankful to see God's hand in his life and to have him as part of our church. We continue to pray that God would soften and transform this young lady's heart.

At the end of April I returned to India, filled up and refreshed by my time with my family, but definitely ready to come home.

May
On returning to India, there was a month packed with birthdays, our big church VBS, and catching up after being away. It was fun to share my birthday with a couple of boys from Good Shepherd home as well as a woman in the church, since all of our birthdays were around the same time. There was lots of cake and balloons and pizza, and loads of people!

May is the best month to do children's programs as it is summer vacation time in India. The only downside? It was hot, hot, hot!! Still, we survived the heat and had a grand time with the VBS. In the past we have done a summer holiday program in a poor area of the city and invited kids from the slum area, but this was our first Holiday Club at the church building. It was a smashing success with over 150 kids in attendance throughout the course of the week. Five hundred invitations had been given out and we had many children attend from Hindu and even Muslim backgrounds. While handing out invitations we were able to visit many homes in all different parts of the city, so it was a good time to build relationships and spread the word about our church.

Usha, Saku, Akka, Sudha. A VERY common sight in our home. 
 During the summer months, when the rest of the Mukti girls were away, we started to do more intensive discipleship and training of these four girls. They are all living semi-independently in hostels or group settings, and need extra support as their families are far away. After we learned that the Mukti home would not reopen, we have continued to focus on these girls and a few others. They have grown by leaps and bounds and we are so thrilled to seem them maturing in Christ. They still come for lunch every Sunday, and many nights will find some or all of them camped out in various corners of our house.

May also marked the beginning of full time ministry with the church. For those who don't know, my main ministry partners are Gareth and Keri (from South Africa), Bec (my housemate, from the UK), and Akash (currently a church intern).

June
The highlights of June were attending the National Expositor's Conference in Pune, taking a couple of trips out to the villages where the Mukti girls come from, and...oh yeah, buying a car!!!! It was certainly another full month, with lots of traveling. We were pretty excited to have the opportunity to visit two of the villages in the area surrounding Nasik. This came about through the connections we had with Mukti. First we visited the couple who ran the Mukti home in Nasik and then another day visited Saku's family in another village. We discussed ideas for ongoing partnerships and outreaches in these areas.

Buying a car. 
The National Expositor's Conference (NEC) is put on by the Indian branch of John MacArthur's ministry in the US. There are very few resources for solid Bible teaching here in India, so it was encouraging to meet with so many other like-minded believers who are passionate about the Word of God. A small group from our church, as well as a few people from our sister church in Kolhapur, were able to attend.

I don't think I need to say anything else about our Nano. It is more like a toy than a real vehicle, but it has transformed our lives and ministry in the past six months, enabling us to be more effective in every way. We praise God nearly every day for giving us a car. Just bigger than an auto rickshaw, we often cram 7-8 people in - 10 if it's kids. :)


July 
In July we took another trip out to the villages and this time we got to see a handful of our precious girls. We stayed with Mauli and Martha, the couple who ran the home here in Nasik and now live out in that area. They continue to minister to the girls, who are all now living in various villages with their families.

During June we also began to restructure and refocus our energies, knowing that the Mukti girls would not be returning to the city. This left a big hole in our ministry and we began to pray about how to use our time and resources, especially as Gareth and Keri had asked Bec and I to take more responsibility for the children's programs and activities in the church. One of the major changes was in our King's Kids club that we hold for the children every week. It is a time of Bible teaching, games, scripture memory, etc. The girls had been a huge part of this and when they left we had only a handful of attendees. We visited homes, sent out invitations, spread the word - all to no avail. Finally, we changed the day of the program from Thursdays to Saturdays and began using the church vehicle to do some transportation. That first day that we finally managed to have a big group of kids was a happy day indeed. Since then God has continued to bless that ministry, bringing 30-40 children each Saturday, and giving us other opportunities to reach out to them throughout the week. 

August 
Yet another month of traveling, August found us back in the villages. This time we took a group from the church and did a mini 'missions trip'. We had so much fun with this little group of volunteers, and there was a great sense of unity and camaraderie as we ministered together. The program took place on a national holiday, so many of the Mukti girls were able to attend, as well as some of the children from the village in which the program was held. The other August trip was back to Pune, where we attended another conference, this time a youth conference. We took the four girls and had a really wonderful time being challenged in the word of God. Our girls were all greatly impacted by this time and we saw it really strengthen their relationships with Jesus.

September
'Abraham'
While I can't remember exactly when they began, I know there were two ministries up and running by September. The first was Bible study at Amrapali. Each week Bec, Akash, and I head into this poor community to teach the kids and the adults from the Bible. I start with a lesson for the children and then Akash does a study for the adults. It has been one of the biggest blessings of this year. Many of the same children also come to our kids' club, and some attend on Sunday mornings as well. There are no words to explain the joy I find in teaching these kids each week. Rather than just seeing a crowd of kids, we now know many of them by name, and we can see their eagerness to soak up the word of God. I started my teaching in Genesis, and most of the kids (and some of the adults who sit in on the lesson) are hearing the stories of creation, the fall, the flood, etc. for the very first time. In spite of the tiny room, and many distractions (kittens, leaking roof, babies, power cuts), the enthusiasm we see in this small group is unmatched. They soak everything up with great enthusiasm and seem to delight in learning the truth of the Bible.

The other ministry that started about this time was English classes at Good Shepherd's home. While working for Kites I had visited this home many times, but wasn't sure if I would have opportunity to go back there. But then they asked Bec and I to go once a week to teach English classes, which has been a blast! It helps us maintain a relationship with both the staff and the children in the home, provides the kids with much needed help in their English learning, and gives us opportunities to encourage and challenge them spiritually.


October
This month may always be remembered as the month in which Nasik Reformed Church welcomed its very first members into covenant with each other. There are about 15 adults who have officially joined with the church, though our attendance on a Sunday morning is much larger. But having official membership has made such a difference in people taking responsibility and feeling a commitment to the local body of believers.

Most months involve at least a bit of travel, and October was no exception. As you may know, I am required to be out of the country every six months, due to visa restrictions. This trip out of the country was spent on the beaches of Sri Lanka (I know, a hardship!!). Though it is a frustration to leave the country that often, I do thank God for these forced holidays.
Tired of looking at books. 

The other trip we took, not quite as relaxing but certainly a fun adventure of its own, was to Hyderabad. Bec, Akash and I were given the task of going to a book fair and choosing books to sell in our bookstore. We spent more hours than I want to remember on a bus but it was worth it for the fun of searching for treasures among the heaps of books.

A very difficult circumstance also arose in October with a friend of ours who was hospitalized due to a mental health crisis. I have provided extensive counseling for this family and her as an individual over the past months, but it is going to be a long road ahead. Your prayers are greatly appreciated.

November
Possibly the most fun month of the year, this is when I got my very first visitors from America!! (I expect many of you to follow their example in the future and come visit me as well. :)) Shy arrived first, in time to attend our church camp with us. He was a general favorite among everyone, young and old, and adjusted quickly to being in a new culture. Nannie arrived after the camp and stayed for two weeks, before they both flew home together. It was so much fun to introduce them to our friends and the church, and to show them the different ministries are happening here. The church here was encouraged and inspired by their visit as well, and still ask very often about how 'Nannie and Shy' are doing.
Nannie enjoying Indian food. 

Nashik Reformed Church + Kolhapur Bible Church
The church 'Family Camp' was held in a location about 7 hours from where we live, in a place halfway between us and our sister church, Kolhapur Bible Church. I'm not sure how long they have held this camp, but I have attended for the past three years. It is a time when the churches come together and are able to just relax and enjoy being together. A guest speaker usually attends, and this year it was Dan Crichton (from RI!!) who traveled with Shy. There are teaching sessions, worship times, games and team building activities, youth and kids sessions, and a talent show. Both churches look forward to this trip all year long. We were grateful for many of you who contributed at the last minute to make this camp a reality, as the costs were unexpectedly raised the week before we went. Thank you.

December
Well, we've finally made it to the end of the year. This summary of my year seemed a lot simpler, and shorter, before I started the project. I am not sure how many of you will still be reading at this point, and I wouldn't blame you if you gave up reading somewhere around February. December, of course, can be summarized with one word: Christmas.

From the end of November to the end of December, we are busy morning to night. There is baking and shopping and wrapping and planning and partying and most importantly, finding every opportunity to tell people about the reason Jesus came to earth. There was a Christmas skit that involved many people from the church as well as children from the kids club. Of course, we also had a party for the girls at our house, and another party at Good Shepherd's home, there was an outreach at the old age home, a Carols by Candlelight on the roof of our church, and several other events and ministries. Christmas is a fantastic time to reach out and be a blessing to many, and an opportunity for people to invite their families and friends to hear the real meaning of Christmas.

In December I also gained another nephew - Everett. I have somehow managed to be in the country at the birth of my other niece and nephews, so it was quite sad to be far away for this. But I did get to meet him via skype while he was still in the hospital, and I'm happy for that. I look forward to meeting him in person sometime in the next year or so.

Well, that was last year. I have no idea what the next year may hold, but in whatever comes, this is my prayer for you and for me: 'Let us hold more closely to Christ, love him more, live for him more thoroughly, confess him more boldly, follow him more fully.' - J. C. Ryle

A precious moment of 2013, hearing these two churches join together and sing this song at our camp.

1 comment:

  1. This is so wonderful to read!! What a gift to be able to trace the Father's hand guiding you throughout such a busy and full year. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

View WiZiQ Profile of Emily Shorey